Monday, November 12, 2012

Benefits of Ginger



Ginger Root Benefits

Ginger root (Zingiber officinale) is well known as a remedy for travel sickness, nausea and indigestion and is used for wind, colic, irritable bowel, loss of appetite, chills, cold, flu, poor circulation, menstrual cramps, dyspepsia (bloating, heartburn, flatulence), indigestion and gastrointestinal problems such as gas and stomach cramps. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb and there has been much recent interest in its use for joint problems. It has also been indicated for arthritis, fevers, headaches, toothaches, coughs, bronchitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, to ease tendonitis, lower cholesterol and blood-pressure and aid in preventing internal blood clots.
Ginger has been well researched and many of its traditional uses confirmed. It is well known as a remedy for travel sickness, nausea and indigestion. It is a warming remedy, ideal for boosting the circulation, lowering high blood pressure and keeping the blood thin in higher doses. Ginger is anti-viral and makes a warming cold and flu remedy. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb and there has been much recent interest in its use for joint problems.

 http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/10-healing-benefits-of-ginger



We are addicted  to Ginger Tea with lemon and honey at our house. We like to use dehydrated ginger so today that is what I did.
 Five pounds of fresh Ginger, I found Cash and Carry to be the cheapest at $2.00 a pound

 Its amazing how all those trays fit into these two jars
 I hate to waste, so as I was cutting of all the "butts" of the ginger I was trying to figure out what to do with them. Ginger Butt Tea is what I came up with! I took all the butts and put them into a pan of water and let it cook all day on our fireplace. I then strained out the butts and ended up with a highly concentrated Ginger Butt Tea. I took a small sip and wow it cleared my nasal pathway, it made Matts eyes water. I am  keeping it in the fridge to add to my morning tea to kick it into high gear. I will probably freeze a portion of it for the next time a nasty cold takes over our house .

No comments:

Post a Comment