Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cool trick with green onions

Did you know that you can use green onions over and over again? I didn't! This is one of the coolest things I have learned lately. All you have to do is put them in water after you cut off what you want and they will grow back! I have them in my kitchen window so they get lots of sun and I make sure they never get dry. I usually keep about an inch or so of water in the glass, always making sure the roots are submerged. This is a picture of my green onion today and by the end of the week they will need trimmed because they will be falling over. I have cut them back this far four time already. If they need cutting and I don't have a use for them in my cooking I have found that they freeze nicely. I wash, chop and them throw them in a freezer bag to be used at a later day. Now I know green onions are not super expensive but every little bit helps right. If you are going to do this I recommend getting organic because they will taste better and be better for you. Also since you wont have to buy them again for at least awhile the added upfront cost will end up paying for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment